This Year marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. By the turn of the century, more than 180 countries were involved in Earth Day activities and celebrations.
In honour of four decades of Earth Days, here are some ways we can go green and celebrate this special event:
- Start carrying a reusable bag for all your shopping.
- Bring a travel mug to your favourite coffee shop and eat an all-local meal.
- Take public transport. Otherwise, walk or bike instead of driving.
- Install a water filter on your tap so you don't feel the need to drink bottled water.
- Install an aerator on your kitchen tap to reduce water use.
- Replace old toilets with dual flush models.
- Invest in rechageable batteries.
- Start buying LED light bulbs that could reduce carbon footprint.
- Stop using paper plates. Buy a brunch of tea towels and ban paper towels from your home.
- Build a backyard compost bin. Plan a garden to help promote biodiversity.
- Switch to eating organics, especially fruits and vegetables.
- Flush your pet's poop instead of throwing it in the garbage.
- Install a water-saving shower head.
- Plant a tree in your yard and share your green know-how with others.
- Plug your electronics into a smart power strip, which automatically senses when electronics aren't being used and cuts power to avoid phantom power use.
- Take a short shower(5-10minues of most).
- Find new ways to use old things. Recycle your old sneakers and clothings.
- Carpool with co-workers or friends who work close to your office.
- Turn off your computer, head outside, and do something requires only your own energy.